5 Best Shed Movers [2022 Review]
Whether relocating your shed is a standalone project or a part of a larger move, we’ve done all of the research needed to make the process easier for you. Here are the five best shed movers available today. We’ll take a close look at each company’s service options, pricing, reputation, and more.
The Best Shed Moving Companies
- Best Overall: uShip
- Widest Service Area: Heavy Haulers
- Most Innovative Building Movers: Wolfe House & Building Movers
- Most Experienced Building Movers: Expert House Movers
- Most Customizable Services: DeVooght House Lifters
Our top moving providers are all excellent options for a wide range of single-item or building moving services. We encourage you to thoroughly research each provider prior to booking. After all, moving any building as a set piece (as these providers can) is a massive undertaking. Reviewing your options is incredibly important if you want your move to go smoothly. Ultimately, the distance you’ll need covered, along with the size of your shed will determine your cost. Rates of between $1 and $4 per mile can be expected for longer relocations.
|Provider||Quote||Superlative||Average Cost||Service Model|
|uShip||Free Quote||Best Overall||Contact for a quote||Broker|
|Heavy Haulers||Free Quote||Widest Service Area||Contact for a quote||Carrier|
|Wolfe House & Building Movers||Free Quote||Most Innovative Building Movers||Contact for a quote||Carrier|
|Expert House Movers||Free Quote||Most Experienced Building Movers||Contact for a quote||Carrier|
|DeVooght House Lifters||Free Quote||Most Customizable Building Moving Services||Contact for a quote||Carrier|
uShip is a broker service that helps clients get in contact with independent shipping companies or truck owners and movers. Their shipping partners are able to assist with a number of single-item shipping needs, from small furniture items to large structures and heavy equipment.
Best for Single-Item Shipping
- Provides Shipping Services for Furniture, Cars, Boats, etc.
- Easy Mobile App for Tracking
- Ships for Residential and Commercial Moving
uShip partners provide the following services:
- Assorted freight
- Heavy equipment
- Single furniture items
- Jacuzzis and hot tubs
- Backyard furniture and pieces
- Shipment tracking
Due to the number of partner companies uShip works with, as well as the variability of size for sheds, you’ll need to get your own cost figures. On uShip, you’ll be able to post your shed, with accompanying dimensions and weight, as well as shipping dates. You can either post a listing with a price attached or without. Depending on your choice, uShip’s partner carriers can either bid on your job or accept your proposed price.
uShip’s Service Area
uShip operates with carriers throughout all 50 states. Regardless of location, they’ll be able to assist you.
Why We Like uShip
uShip provides a great number of carriers with a centralized platform to connect with clients. Shopping around and looking for the best price or option for your move is a necessity. This broker makes that easier to do.
Heavy Haulers is a specialized single-structure or item shipper that has been in business since 2006. Despite being relative newcomers to the industry, they’re now one of the leading providers of such services.
Heavy Haulers can handle an array of specialized heavy-duty shipping needs, including:
- Freight shipping
- Semi-truck shipping
- Wide & oversized load shipping
- Trailer & container shipping
- Mobile home & mobile office shipping
- Building moving
Heavy Haulers’ Cost
Long-distance shed moving costs will typically start at $500 and go up from there. Your rates will be heavily dependent on the size of your shed and the length of the move, however. Get a quote from Heavy Haulers to be sure of your exact price.
Their Service Area
Heavy Haulers provides equipment, structure, and other heavy moving services to all 50 states, including Alaska and Hawaii.
Why We Like Heavy Haulers
Heavy Haulers has seen a relatively quick ascent to the top of the heavy moving industry. That they’re easily capable of servicing moves to all points in the US and beyond is what sets them apart from other companies in this niche.
Wolfe House & Building Movers
Largely confined to the coasts, Wolfe House & Building Movers is a leading provider of building lifting and shipping services. After more than 50 years in the business, they’ve served clients with every possible need and service requirement, and have done so well. Whether you’re moving a full-sized residence or a small outbuilding, they can help you.
Wolfe House & Building Movers provides the following services:
- Mobile homes
- Residential homes
- Mobile offices
- Commercial buildings, including museums and monuments
- Roof lifting
- Building lifting for under-excavation
- General structural support
Wolfe’s Moving Systems Cost
Due to the complex nature of moving any building, it is highly recommended that you contact a representative from Wolfe House & Building Movers for a quote.
Their Service Area
Wolfe now assists clients with more than 500 structure moves per year. With limited service centers in the Eastern US and one in Oregon, they cannot handle moves through most of the Midwest. Coastal Western states and most areas east of the Mississippi River are within their range.
Why We Like Wolfe House & Building Movers
Wolfe comes equipped with decades of experience in building relocations. They use this to craft customized solutions to each move they are tasked with. As a client, you’ll always feel as if your cargo is in good hands.
Expert House Movers
Expert House Movers is based in Maryland and has been in business in one form or another for 70 years. During their long history, they’ve been tasked with moving every structure you can think of, from cottages to mansions and commercial buildings. Your shed will be safe with these top professionals.
Expert House Movers can provide you with the following services:
- Structural moving
- Structural lifting
- Residential moving
- Commercial moving
- Historical preservation
- Foundation repair
- Bracing and underpinning
Expert House Movers’ Cost
You will need to get a quote for your shed move prior to booking. Due to variance in size, and a number of other factors (obstructions and structural integrity) you’ll need a personalized figure for your cost. Expect starting figures to be a few hundred dollars and up.
Their Service Area
Expert House Movers will likely only be able to assist you with your shed move if it falls in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US. This Maryland-based mover only ventures beyond this area for the largest of structural moves.
Why We Like Expert House Movers
This building mover is one of the longest-tenured structural movers in the business. The experience, coupled with their excellent safety and damage record, make them a top service provider.
DeVooght House Lifters
DeVooght House Lifters is another leading residential and commercial structure mover. Through their 60 years in the business, they’ve crafted airtight processes for moving buildings of all kinds. They offer a variety of options for service, at high quality.
DeVooght’s fleet of trucks and hydraulic lifts assist in providing the following services:
- House lifting & moving
- Mobile home moving
- Foundation repair
- Shoreline and water damage repair
- Historic preservation services
You should get an estimate for service for any shed move from DeVooght. Though sheds are fairly small by their standards, you can still expect to pay a fair amount for a move.
DeVooght’s Service Area
DeVooght’s eight states of direct service are North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. You should call your nearest service branch to inquire about service, even if you’re outside of their home state; they may still be able to assist you.
Why We Like DeVooght House Lifters
DeVooght offers a wide range of services that cover any building moving need. During their time in the industry, they’ve moved buildings of varying sizes, from large commercial projects to small cottages. If you book your shed move with them, you’ll be in very capable hands.
Get A Quote
Shopping around is an important step in any moving process. Movers of all sizes offer quotes as a complementary service, and you owe it to yourself to take advantage of that. Get quotes from every shed or structure mover that you consider. Doing so is the best possible way to ensure that you choose the right company for the job.
When you hire a company to move your shed, there are a number of things you should consider before booking. These include:
- Service profile: The majority of building movers you encounter will likely be able to accommodate your shed move. Despite this, you should thoroughly look into each moving company’s service offerings before you commit to them.
- Customer reviews: All moving companies depend on positive reviews in order to land new clients. Look into such feedback from multiple sources, including social media, Google, Yelp, and Better Business Bureau.
- Proper registration: Such moving companies must carry USDOT and MC numbers. You should ask about this when you schedule moving quotes with different companies.
- Workers’ compensation: Given the size of the piece to be moved in such relocations, you have to ensure that all movers you look into have workers’ compensation coverage. This covers you in the event of a work-related injury during a move. Without such coverage, you could be held liable for damages.
Before you even get a quote from a building mover, you should be fully aware of factors that can influence your bottom line. These include
- Shed size and weight
- Move distance
- Shed foundation/ anchoring material
- Structural integrity
- Road clearing requirements for wide shipments
At Pro Mover Reviews, we are committed to providing our readers with comprehensive and unbiased information on each provider that we review. Our methodology is a step-by-step process that ensures we maintain your trust through transparency and data that is backed up through routine check-ins. Our staff has spent hundreds of hours reviewing dozens of local, long-distance, and international moving companies to bring you our recommendation for the best moving companies in the US. We then narrowed down our findings based on criteria that we find to be the most helpful for you to choose the best moving company for your needs.
Our Rating Categories:
- Company Transparency
- Pricing + Cost
- Services Offered
- Overall Reputation
While there are many sites out there that compare movers, we believe our rigorous standards give us more insights into company performance and better data to share with our community. For each moving company we check for:
- Confirmed Licensing with the DOT
- Updated & Verified Business Registration
- Real & Recent Consumer Reviews
- Industry Ratings and BBB Complaints
- Accuracy of Online Quotes
- Services Provided & Total Service Area
- Pricing & Services vs. Competitors
From here we created a comprehensive, 100 point, rating scale based on the following factors:
- Moving services (25): Companies that offer more flexibility in their services are rated higher.
- Coverage of services (5): The more items a moving company can handle, the higher the score.
- Pricing (25): We compare this to the industry average when rating pricing.
- Trustworthiness (25): We comb through hundreds of reviews and check on BBB ratings to determine the trustworthiness of a company.
- State availability (5): Finding a moving company in your state can be a challenge depending on where you are located. The more states covered, the higher the score.
- Customer service (10): Is this moving company responsive? Do they respond quickly to issues that are brought to their attention? Are they helpful in answering questions? All of these factors are considered when rating customer service.
- Additional benefits (5): Moving companies can sometimes offer special promotions or deals when contracting them for a move. The companies with the most benefit scored higher.
Of the dozens of different moving companies that we’ve reviewed, we’ve broken down the best interstate and long-distance movers in Indiana. To keep our ratings and data current, we have a full-time researcher who collects (and regularly updates) more than 100 specific data points from each company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, cost, service, and dependability. This list is ever-changing, as companies will update policies and procedures, and we will change our information accordingly.
FAQs for the Best Shed Movers
Can moving a shed compromise structural integrity?
Moving an entire structure as a set piece can definitely weaken it if not done by qualified professionals. However, professional moving companies will have insurance policies in place to protect whatever structure you plan on moving. That aside, any building mover will exercise extra care during removal and placement of your shed at each end of the move.
Are there any permits I need to have before moving my shed?
Most states will not require additional permits for you to lift and move a structure. Georgia and New Jersey have extra requirements on such activity, which your movers will be aware of. In most local areas, you may need a permit of some kind for wide load transportation.
Do company insurance policies cover neighboring properties?
No. Despite the large equipment that will be required for even the smallest building moves, only your property is covered by your mover’s insurance. If your property isn’t easily navigable, then you may want to take this into account when hiring a mover. During any estimates you receive, you should ask about specific equipment that will be used for your relocation.